In case anyone saw the NY Times article earlier this month warning of potential delays or cancellations to this year's race due to weather conditions and lack of snow ~ rest assured, THE RACE IS ON! According to postings on the official Iditarod site, no delays or major changes are anticipated. In fact, Race Marshall Mark Nordman is quoted as saying, "Trail's great, lots of snow, all the way to Nome."
A few early notes & reminders:
- Review the Trail Map (link under Categories to the right). Remember, teams run the southern route this year.
- Renew or sign up for your Iditarod Insider access.
- If you are a new follower of the Iditarod, learn more about the race and its history on our main Iditarod page.
- Visit our blog often! Before the start of the race, we'll post pictures and info on each dog on our team and also have updates from the preliminary festivities in Anchorage. We won't be able to make any personal updates while we're out on the trail, but our older sister will again assume lead dog position for all you armchair mushers, doing her best to provide updates and info throughout the race.
Calendar of Events:
- Thursday, 2/28, 6pm: Musher Banquet and drawing for bib number and starting position.
- Saturday, 3/02, 10am: Ceremonial Race Start, Anchorage.
- Sunday, 3/03, 2pm: Official race re-start from Willow Lake.